I’ve needed some material for “Boy” cards ever since my four great-grandsons appeared on the scene. This means that it has taken me six years to get specific stamps and dies that would appeal to little boys. I know… slo-o-o-w..!
Then I found these cute stamps from Paper Nest Dolls (www.papernestdolls.com) and I am loving them. The stamp designer’s sample projects combined two things I hadn’t thought to put together; the frilly and the cartoon. They were lovely and I was hooked. You’ll have to check them out on her blog because…
(I can hardly wait to do the girly ones with the frills of flowers and lace that I love, as well as the pastel papers. Stay tuned…)
Now to turn this into a learning experience for my class.
I had just taken a class at a local paper crafts store involving techniques using water color pens from Marvy LePlume which seemed ideal for this project. I don’t want to say it is easy but, if all you want to do is add some color to a stamped image occasionally, this is certainly easier and less expensive than Copic markers. I had to work it out little by little. Here are examples of my progress in determining which way to go to get a reasonable result.
Remember, if you click on any photo, it will be enlarged so you can see the image better.
I will still be adding one more step for my class, which is to stamp the image with Versamark and use dark brown embossing powder to outline the image. For those who don’t know, embossing powder contains tiny beads of plastic that melt under a heat gun and stick to the surface of the paper. Versamark is a clear glycerine based “ink” that you stamp with and it holds this fine powdered plastic in place while it is being heated. The result is an image that is slightly raised and totally waterproof. When we paint, the watercolor will stay within those “walls” of melted embossing powder and will not bleed color into our paint, which was something I was having an issue with. (There are other ways of tackling this using particular inks that aren’t water reactive but this is new for me and I’m not ready to invest in those products just yet.)
We will also be making our background paper for the Little Dragon with Ranger Distress Inks, which are water-based inks,. My ladies really get into this when we start flinging water and ink around to make our own designer paper. (Hmmm… note to self… remind ladies to wear aprons or old t-shirts to class this week..!)
I hope you like my Little Dragon. I did my best to make him appealing and I, personally, am a happy camper about how he turned out. I can’t wait to see how my ladies’ take on this comes out. Their personal adaptations always surprise me in the most wonderful ways..!
Let me hear from you..! I love to get comments; the more the merrier…
Blessings and hugs, y’all..!